HI! I wanted to write a short post to help you get those kiddos back into a bedtime routine before school starts.
If you are anything like us, your kids have had a liberal or non-existant sleep schedule during summer. That is one of the fun things about summer when you are a kid!!
I recommend getting back into some sort of routine 1 -2 weeks before school actually starts. Kids don’t automatically just go to bed at 8:30 if they have been able to stay up until 10:00 for a few months.
So, here is my advice for getting things back on schedule:
1. Start your kids on a consistent bedtime. Pick whatever their average bedtime has been.
2. Every 2-3 nights make that bedtime earlier by 15 or 20 minutes, i.e.: start at 10pm a few nights, after 2 nights make it 9:45, then a few nights later make it 9:30, etc…
3. Turn the TV OFF!! If I teach you nothing else, please understand how important it is for kids to have about an hour of “No Screens” before they go to bed. They can look at a book, take a warm bath, play quietly in their room, anything that is relaxing for them. NO TV, ipad, Computer, video games, etc. This is the perfect opportunity to get them back into reading.
4. Make the routine before bed consistent. I’ve mentioned my “bath, book, bed” mantra in my blog on sleep. Kids function best when they have a consistent routine.
5. Tell ’em you love ’em, xoxo, and then it’s Lights Out!
For more information on kid’s sleep, please check out my blog Sleep is Crucial for Healthy Development.
I hope you and your family have enjoyed the summer and have been able to spend some quality family time together.
Remember, it’s all about Enjoying the Journey!! 😉